Be prepared and informed! Essential Updates for 2017
This spring, we're keeping TVIs on the go, in the know.
Mark your schedules and register now to attend!
Cogswell-Macy Act Hill Day
March 1, Washington, D.C.
American Foundation for the Blind's 2017 Leadership Conference and Virginia AER Conference
March 2nd - 4th at the Crystal Gateway Marriott, Arlington, VA
Cogswell-Macy Act Hill Day
Wednesday, March 1st, advocates for students with visual impairments will join with advocates from the deafblindness and Deaf/hard-of-hearing communities to visit congressional offices in Washington, D.C., sharing stories and asking our new Congress to rally behind students with sensory disabilities in support of the Cogswell-Macy Act. All who are interested in participating should email Rebecca Sheffield (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be added to an email update list for further details about the day's schedule.
2017 Leadership Conference
Virginia AER and the American Foundation for the Blind have combined forces to bring you an exciting conference with sessions and activities especially designed for TVIs. Register today at www.afb.org/afblc
Thursday, March 2nd, will include a day-long Education Summit, addressing some of the most challenging concerns in our field:
- Learning media - assessing, deciding, and providing
- Intersection of visual impairment with autism and other disabilities
- Convergence insufficiency/binocular vision disorders
- TVIs' roles - professional, political, and practical changes and variations
We will spend time concentrating on updates and input for the Council for Exceptional Children's TVI licensures standards - this is your chance to provide feedback that will shape the TVI profession for years to come!
As the conference continues, sessions on Friday and Saturday will provide invaluable information (and CEUs!) for vision professionals, including:
- Orientation and Mobility
- Triangulation: Planning for Impactful O&M Services for School-Age Students with Visual Impairments and Additional Disabilities
- O&M for Babies Birth to 3: The Hows and Whys
- College and Career Preparation
- Building and Crossing the Bridge from Education to Vocational Rehabilitation Services
- Transition to Work
- Preparing for Transition to Adult Life-It Begins Earlier Than You Think!
- Accessing the Core Curriculum
- A Culture of Accessibility in the Sciences: Teaching and Learning Science in the Context of Blindness and Visual Impairment
- Teaching History the Accessible Way: Exploring the Helen Keller Archive
- Early Childhood
- Working with Babies (Birth to 3) with CVI-Cerebral/Cortical Visual Impairment: A Session for All Professionals Working with Babies with CVI
- Toddler Canes: An Innovation in Addressing the Mobility with Vision Impairment Needs of New Walkers with Congenital/Early Onset Visual Impairment
- And more!
- How Technology Can Enhance Spatial Cognition
- Autism and Visual Impairment: Using a Collaborative Model to Develop Goals and Teaching Strategies through the Lifespan
View the entire agenda at the AFB Leadership Conference website
Please share this announcement with others who may be interested in attending the conference and/or advocacy day. Thank you!